Monday, February 16, 2009

At Seventeen

Just to night while I was driving back home, I was listening to the radio there was this song called at seventeen by Janis Ian, the song touched me in a way, I have never heard it before which is weird since it is a fairly old song, anyways the lyrics of the song is about an ordinary little girl that was rejected by boys when she was younger just because she wasn’t beautiful, it is unfortunate that this is true and it happens all the time, I remember when I was in high school, there was this little girl that wasn’t liked by anyone, just because she looked different, but I didn’t care, I went to her and asked if she wanted to join me for lunch sometimes, she accepted my invitation and I was happy that that she did, we became very good friends, she actually helped me a lot in so many things in my life, she is one of the most beautiful people that I have ever met. To me beauty is not physical it is what is inside of you, that will reflect the outside of you. I hope that people will stop judging people just by their physical appearance and learn that the real beauty is the personality of the person. I met so many people through out my life, from different cultures and different countries, the more I see people the more I love them and love to know more about their lives and their believes because once you know the inside of them, the outside wouldn’t really matter any more, what ever you see inside it will reflect on the outside. We unfortunately all are affected by prejudice thinking that just cause this person looks a certain way and believe in certain things that means that this person is not worth knowing, we tend to judge people before we know them, and that is the most unpleasant thing to do.

At seventeen, we are suppose to be happy and ready and anxious for the future, not sad and rejected and scared just because we look a certain way, it is not our fault that we are not pretty, we have to always remember that because beauty is something that lies beneath and it comes slowly to reach our hearts so that it will reflect our looks. A lot of people say that I am beautiful, this makes feel good, but I like it more when they say to me that I am nice and friendly, I don’t want anyone to see my face I want people to see what is beyond that because that is where my real beauty is.


Here is the song...


No comments:

Post a Comment